Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Cheap Healthy Salads Recipes?




Tarazha


I'm looking for healthy salad recipes that I can make at home on a strict budget of 50 dollars for the whole month to cover 1-2 out of 3 meals a day. The reason is I'm trying to lose weight and my goal is to prepare something healthy for at least two of my daily meals since dinner is usually cooked for the house by someone else. Salads have caught my attention just because I really like salads and my diet currently has few fruits and veggies in it so I'm killing two birds with one stone there. Anyone have some salad recipes that can cover lunch for a week that incorporate chicken (i hate chicken breasts it's so dry) and some kind of pasta for around 300-350 calories a serving? I'm not a picky eater but I'm also not a chef. If the salads voluminous enough I wouldn't mind swapping out snacks for salads and eating a lighter lunch. If it helps I'll lay out the regime the nutritionist gave me.

Breakfast: 300-500 calories
Snack: 100 calories
Lunch: 300-500 calories
Snack: 100 calories
Dinner: 400-500 calories

The recommended amount of calories consumed was less than 2000 calories with regular walking exercises. I'm morbidly obese trying to get healthy so obviously I'm not going to actually consume 2000 calories a day. I've looked uo all the tips there can be found on stretching a meal I don't need more tips I'm asking for salad recipes to try.



Answer
Hi Tarazha,
I used to make fairly cheap salads for lunchâa wedge of cabbage, some carrot, celery and cucumber sticks, sliced yellow paprika and red cherry radish, a few cherry tomatoes, 3-4 slices of rolled supermarket ham, and 6-8 half-inch cubes of cheese, usually natural, sharp cheddar. For dressing? A pinch of salt and a dash of pepper! VERY occasionally, my wife would put a teensy tub (about one ounce) of miso + mayo + soy or Worcestershire sauce, for dipping the vegetable sticks and sometimes I'd throw a whole, or half a boiled egg into the lunch-box. I could eat this 3-4 days running, but would want a ham & cheese sandwich or a burger at least once per week

I've been eating only fresh fruits for breakfast for the past 18 months, and lost 28lbs (13 kilos) in less than a year without any change in exercise, which shocked my doctor! My previous weight was 93kg/200+lbs (borderline obese at 5'11") and my last 'target' weight was 88kg, but I was a smidgen under 80kg at our next meeting. I was eating 'mostly' salads for lunch, but I could also do a small ham and *real* cheese bagel (180-190kcal) and a cup of cold Vichysoisse/corn/pumpkin soup (70-80kcal) and I could work all evening on that.

Best of luck with the weight loss. Watch out for the 'stealth calories' in salad dressings, please!

Cautionary tale linked below, but just for fun!

What is a good Egg salad recipe? :]?




saranicole


I'm putting on my friends baby shower and shes really likes it (weird pregnant cravings lol) any yummy recipes?


Answer
this is a healthy salad


Ingredients

* 8 eggs
* 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
* 2 tablespoons prepared Dijon-style mustard
* 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1/2 red onion, minced
* salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil; cover, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel and chop.
2. In a large bowl, combine the egg, mayonnaise, mustard, dill, paprika, onion and salt and pepper. Mash well with a fork or wooden spoon.
3. Serve on bread as a sandwich or over crisp lettuce as a salad.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment