Monday, January 20, 2014

What are some healthy choices for my lunchbox at school?

healthy homemade sandwich recipes
 on Homemade Healthy Tiffin Recipes - How To Make Healthy Tiffin For Kids ...
healthy homemade sandwich recipes image



Kate Sterl


I am going into senior and need some healthy choices to get fit and healthy!
Any ideas?



Answer
Fresh and dried fruit is really good for snacks.

For lunch I make a big batch of pasta (with whatever sauce I feel like) and then eat it for lunch during the week. It usually keeps well and tates great. You can also have wraps, salad sandwiches, and other breads with salad fillings. I take cous cous (which can be a bit messy) and leftover dinner.

The easiest that I find is little cans of tuna (but obviously only if you like the taste of tuna.)

You can take vegetables like carrots etc. for snacks as well.

Take a drink bottle as it is easy to mistake thirst for hunger. Just make sure you don't drink too much as you will need to go to the toilet during class.

You can make healthy muffins (with fruit etc in them). Look on google for healthy muffin recipes.

Cheese and crackers are good - just make sure that you get low fat cheese.

If you make grilled homemade pizzas with healthy ingredients, you can then take them to school the next day.

Nuts are also great for quick snacks.

What to make to eat for lunch to take on campus?




J


My issue is that I get tired of the same things all the time. I usually take left over homemade pizza, sandwiches, fruit, trail mix.... but, I've run out of ideas and nothing sounds good. I'm trying to be healthy: organic/natural/non-canned foods when possible. This makes it difficult. Any ideas!?? I'll take them all. Thanks everyone!


Answer
Whenever I cook - which is about every day, from scratch, usually organic & healthy - I will put some individual portions into a lidded container & freeze it, labeled & dated. That way I always have ready an interesting variety to choose from, whether for lunches or those times I don't feel like cooking.

Usually it's single dishes like lasagna, enchiladas, chicken or beef pot pies (slices or indiv.), quiche (slices or indiv.), jumbo savory corn meal muffins (add cheese, cooked sausage /ham, sauteed onion, corn, green chile), soups (pureed black bean, chicken tortilla, cream of asparagus, gingered butternut squash), spanakopita, etc.

Sometimes I'll put together several items for a frozen meal-to-go, usually an Indian meal with cooked rice, dal, & a curry.

Sometimes I'll make in individual portions in a small dish, besides jumbo muffins, such as pot pies & quiche.

Breakfast burritos are a delicious favorite - they freeze well & easily reheat in a microwave. Because I'm in the southwest of USA, I always have New Mexican green chiles in my freezer (already roasted, peeled & chopped), so I always use that + cooked diced/grated potatoes + sauteed onions + grated cheese (kept in freezer) + cooked bacon or sausage + scrambled eggs, wrapped in a flour tortilla. Sometimes I add chopped tomatoes. Optionally add: refried beans, sauteed bell peppers, mushrooms. Try this large quantity recipe & then eat them whenever you want!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/southwest-breakfast-burritos/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=breakfast%20burrito&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

Bon appetit!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment