Monday, September 9, 2013

What CAN you buy from the grocery store when you're watching your weight?

healthy tuna sandwich recipe without mayo
 on ... Panini Recipe 8 300x200 Yummy Tuna Panini Recipe (Without the Mayo
healthy tuna sandwich recipe without mayo image



Anna


Soo, I'm tired of eating the typical chicken strips and Dr. Pepper sort of meal. I really have no clue what to buy that isn't unhealthy. I'm just not sure what to buy or eat that'll actually have some nutritional value. I'm starting to drink water, but kind of actual food do I buy?
I would just like someone to LITERALLY tell me what to buy.



Answer
I avoid packaged products, except bread, pasta or rice.

You don’t have to limit yourself to low calorie food, as long as you watch your portion sizes and use the right cooking method (slow cooker, pressure cooker, steamer, microwave, grill, rotisserie…so you don’t have to add extra fat). I eat filet mignon that I grill…and I am always lighter on the scale the next morning (it has to do with the proteins in meat). You can also buy lean ground beef and make great homemade meatballs (20 minutes in the oven) which will be fulfilling and low calorie (use homemade bread crumbs), unlike the commercially made meatballs which are very high calorie and so tiny.

I’m not sure what chicken strips are… a “style of batter-fried chicken without skin or bones”? I usually eat skinless chicken that I cook in my rotisserie (using a lot of herbs but no fat) or my slow cooker or my pressure cooker so I never have to add extra fat.

A lot of fishes (my favorite is salmon) are delicious cooked in a steamer with broccolis and carrots. You can eat some rice with that too.

I find that adding broccolis to a lot of meals (pasta, rice…) really fills me up. Broccoli is the best vegetable, nutritionally wise.

You can basically eat any fruits or veggies that you like. Even an avocado, which has a lot of calories, is very good for you (has the good kind of fat). Bananas are great for an easy snack. Buy all the fruits that you like and that go together (and are in season, so they’re sweet) and make a great fruit salad without adding sugar but using pureed raspberries as a sauce (do not put bananas in your fruit salad…those turn ugly, still tasty, but ugly, after a few days). You can then eat that salad for several days, as a snack or desert.

You can also make great salads with lots of greens (lettuce, spinach…), hardboiled egg whites, olives, ham and cheese (watch the portion sizes) with a vinaigrette (olive oil is good for you).

You might want to explore the wide world of other great salads…like pasta salads (penne, elbows. any small pasta, a great way to use leftovers…) with artichoke, lemon, tomatoes and parsley…or a potato salad with tomatoes, anchovies, shallots, olive oil, mustard and chervil (my favorite one).
Any leftovers: pasta, chicken, salmon, veggies like broccolis can be used for salads.

You can also make sandwiches…Those are basically salads with bread. You can make a huge sandwich with 3 slices of whole wheat bread, 2 kinds of cheeses and ham, an egg, some pickles, tomatoes, lettuce…then you cut it in half diagonally and you get TWO meals right there, like one half for dinner and the other half for lunch tomorrow.

Homemade tuna sandwiches are better because you can control the amount of the mayonnaise and celery (very little mayo but a lot of celery) so they’re healthier.

I think that anything homemade has much less calories than commercial food and is so much tastier too. Also when you learn how to cook and you get into gourmet cooking, it’s a lot of fun, juggling with the herbs and enjoying the smell of it all (the only downsize is the dishwashing!). You can go online and find great recipes and learn every day. I learned recently that kale was a great addition to my lentils/sausage soup (yes, you CAN have sausage…just REALLY watch for portion size).

Also, having a yogurt a day is good (with probiotic bacteria) and makes a perfect snack or desert. Drink some milk too.

Can you help me think of recipes to make WITHOUT these ingredients?




pseudonym


All sugars and sugar-contained food including fructose, corn syrup, honey, molasses, maple sugar etc.

All white flour and white flour products. All yeast-containing pastries, breads, crackers, pastas, etc.

All cheese except ricotta, cottage and cream cheese.

Artificially sweetened drinks and food products.

All fruit juices, fruits (except cranberry, lemon, and lime)

All coffee and tea (even herbal).

All meat and poultry (except seafood)

Obvious fungus foods: mushrooms, blue cheese, etc.

Peanuts and peanut products: peanut butters.

All vinegar & vinegar-soaked products

Potatoes, squash, and corn

white rice

***If you can think of ANYTHING, I will be very very grateful and happy!! If you win the challenge you get ten points!! :)***
Umm... wealthywhitebeauty? If I was poor, I wouldn't have a computer and internet access. Ever consider that I was doing this for health reasons?



Answer
I have to eat pretty similar to this. I hope you have another list of what you 'can' eat, it's much better to read! :-)

Anyway here are some things I eat:

BF:
eggs over brown rice, or with French meadow brand brown rice bread (no yeast, natural sourdough, it's good!!)

Smoothie with vanilla whey protein powder, strawberries, flax oil, one raw egg, a bit of cranberry juice (non-sweetened), stevia to sweeten if you need it, or a half of a banana

Shrimp or vegetable omelet

Lunch
Chicken 'noodle' soup with veggies - but with brown rice macaroni.

A sandwich made from the french meadow bread. Use bay shrimp (the small ones), cream cheese, tomato, onion & lettuce. Grill the sandwich if you have time, the french meadow bread tastes better toasted.

I also make a really hearty vegetable soup with a tomato base. I put grass-fed beef in it (I can eat beef & chicken) but you could add shrimp. email me if you want the recipe.

Easy quick lunch: can of tuna or salmon mixed with a healthy brand of mayo, over lettuce with tomato & cucumber

Dinner
You have a load of options for dinner since you eat seafood. Here are some of my favorites:

Tilipia with pesto
Salmon with butter, dill, lemon & garlic, baked in oven

shrimp scampi - I saute one leek, garlic, butter, lemon and then throw in the shrimp, this is good over rice

Shrimp louie salad - add hard boiled eggs

Salmon marinated in a bit of soy sauce (naturally brewed), fresh ginger, garlic

A big omelet with sauteed veggies & some ricotta cheese. Or make an 'italian' omelet with tomato, basil & ricotta. yum!

Grilled scallops with whole wheat pasta (or brown rice pasta) with a veggie

Shrimp curry - I have an easy recipe if you like curry & if you can eat coconut. Email me if you need it

Snacks
I love the cracker brand 'Mary's Gone Crackers', onion flavor. you can find it at a health food store like whole foods. They are gluten free. And 15 crackers are a serving so you really feel like you're eating well. Have these with hummus or herbed cream cheese.

Dip apples or celery sticks into a cheese that you're allowed.

Hard boiled eggs

cottage cheese with fruit

super quick snack: piece of the french meadow bread, toasted, with a schmear of cream cheese

I know how daunting it can be to start a new eating plan. Try planning out a few days menus ahead of time, you'll feel better. And your body will thank you! Have fun with it.

You might try the 'Fat Flush cookbook' by Ann Louise Gittleman, please don't be turned off by the name. It has a lot of recipes with the foods that you can eat.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment