Tuesday, November 5, 2013

You make my dinner for a whole week!!!?

healthy gourmet sandwich recipes
 on How to make a healthy burger | One Health Tip
healthy gourmet sandwich recipes image



melissa m


I am giving anybody a chance to make me a menu for me and my husband. We will try any food. I am so sick of thinking of what to have for dinner and my husband never tells me what he wants. We like any food and we will try any food except for any type of fish and sushi. Manke me a menu and if i choose your food you will be chosen as the best answer. GOOD LUCK!!!!


Answer
Recipes linked below from Sparkrecipes.com (a website of sparkpeople.com) [most are "healthier" versions of many dishes, and some original recipes from spark employees, and the registered users...most of the recipes listed, I've made and enjoyed :o) ]

1: Baked Ziti served with Garlic bread and grilled or baked Eggplant and Zuchinni
--can add cooked meat to the 'meatless' recipe...and substitute the cottage cheese for ricotta cheese. I used zuchinni, squash, and eggplant and baked it in the oven while cooking the pasta. My husband doesn't like eggplant, so we kept it on the side, instead of just putting in the skillet.--

2: Turkey Tacos, spanish rice, and black beans
--We use lean ground beef and add (part skim-but my husband doesn't know) cheese. For the spanish Rice, my husband usually makes white rice and adds Rotel, oregano and other spices, but the recipe below sounded good.--

3. Chicken Melt Sandwich with apple or sweet potato fries and/or a favorite soup
--I use wheat bread instead of rye, and add avocado and other veggies. Then julienne an apple or sweet potato and bake on a cookie sheet like baked french fries.--

4. Gourmet Chicken Salad
--Serve on or with a large croissant/roll and Garden salad..or whatever sounds good.--

5. Meat Loaf: serve with toast and green beans, corn, mashed potatoes, spinach...or any other vegetable(s) that sound good on the particular night!
--...also good with apple or sweet potato fries.--

6. Chicken Stir Fry and Rice or Noodles
--I use my husband's recipe (or he cooks it...) Basically, a bag of frozen stir fry vegetables (carrots, broccoli, and waterchesnuts) Stir Fry sauce (in the marinade and/or Asian/Oriental section of the grocery store) and chicken (or sirloin tips...or top round) ...all cooked in a skillet...I've never used the recipe for stir fry linked below, but it seems like a good place to start. I'd add some broccoli and maybe cashews or pineapple--

7. Vegetable Sirloin Kabobs
--I don't use the linked recipe, I use sirloin or chicken (or just veggies), mushrooms, squash/zuchinni, tomatoes...and other veggies we feel like at the time or that look good at the store...cut them up and grill them on skewers...Sometimes we marinade them, sometimes we don't... and we use different marinades just about every time.--


I hope you enjoy these recipes, or find some you like at Sparkrecipes.com! You can also look at the world's healthiest foods website, they have a database where you can select which foods you want in a recipe, and it will bring up all the recipes in the database using the food(s) selected.

Also, if you register with Sparkpeople.com (it's free, and doesn't take that long), you can use their meal plans. They give you suggestions for breakfast, lunch, and dinner...I usually don't use them now, but I did for a while, now I just think about what I want for the week, and make a menu on Saturday (Monday-Sunday), then go to the store Sunday evening. But, Sparkpeople.com is a 'healthy lifestyle' site...weight loss and maintaining, so the recipes they suggest will be 'healthy' --at least healthier than the "regular" version of the recipe. But, all the recipes I've made, I'd make them again! ...and most of them my husband likes, too :o)


And, while you probably won't need recipes for most of this stuff, if there's a recipe for it, I'll link it...

I've been vegetarian for about a year and...?

Q. I'm going to become vegan. What are some healthy, inexpensive foods I can eat? I don't want to live off of animal crackers(vegetarian..?), fritos, and french fries (cortesy of PETA)


Answer
I suggest using "soy silk" milk and yogurt. This is about the cheapest best tasting brand out there. Make sure however you get a variety other than soy for you alternatives by incorporating rice (Rice Dream), oat, almond, and hemp milks into you diet. Also there are some nice rice cheese slices out there as well as vegan blocks of cheese (vegan gourmet) for pizzas and taco salads, etc.

There are vegan versions of burgers, dogs, sausages, deli slices etc. Make sure it either says Vegan or read the ingredients carefully. Often there might be cheese or egg. Egg is very common in vegetarian chicken imitation products.

Make sure you don't skimp when going out to the grocery store. You'll end up eating out more which will drain your pocket book if you don't have enough around.

Have brown rice and whole wheat bread around. Buy fresh ground peanut butter. Buy whole wheat pasta and canned diced tomatos for sauce. Keep cans of beans around for rice bean dishes. Have lettuce on hand for salads, on top of your sandwiches, etc.

Also go to the local farmers markets. Usually the produce is cheaper and the farmer doesn't get robbed by the middle man. Buy as many fresh fruits and vegetables as you think you will reasonable eat in a week. Keep some of them out on the counter in a bowl so you won't forget they are there.

Buy a vegan cook book and try a recipe a week. Learning to cook will be your best friend. I started by learned to make soups now I can make most things including my own pizza dough.

As a vegan I can assure you I have plenty of variety and am healthy. But if you get lazy about it yes one can live off chips for a while and pay the price later. I know you recognize this and are taking steps to avoid it. Kudos : )

Lastly, you do not need to take supplements if you are eating correctly. You can however if you like get plenty of iron and b12 from Spirulina which is a food though often used like a supplement. Powder form is the cheapest but pills might be more palatable for you.

Best of wishes on this new lifestyle. If you have any other questions feel free to e-mail me.

Take Care : )

Edit: Sounds like finances are an issue for you. I encourage you then to buy out of the bulk section. Bring your own containers for maximum ecological friendliness.

I like to get my oats, corn meal, and whole wheat for pizzas, breads, pancakes, etc out of the bulk section. You can also get dried beans of various kinds and hydrate them in a pot over night.

Also you can make you own trail mixes with nuts and dried fruit. Buy the ingredients separately and mix them yourself. They charge you a premium to have them already mixed.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment