Saturday, November 9, 2013

What are some good good and healthy vegitarian meals?

healthy meatball sandwich recipes
 on These healthy Open-Face Meatball Sandwiches use turkey meatballs and ...
healthy meatball sandwich recipes image



Samantha


im a vegitarian and its hard to eat dinner everynight when my parents cook meat and the dinner microwave meals have to much sodium. i love tofu and most vegtibles. i want a meal easy to cook and healthy


Answer
If you want to learn to cook, that is great. It's a very important step for veg people. All of those frozen and prepackaged meals are inexcusably overpriced. Foods containing only plant products should be CHEAPER and NOT pricier.

If you haven't already, please visit this site
http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/vsk/food_groups.html

----------------------------------------------------

These are some of my favorite things to eat:

Breakfast: bananas, cream of wheat with brown sugar and soy butter, cereal, pancakes or french toast with real maple syrup, vegan "sausage" patties, smoothies.

Lunch: VEGAN "SAUSAGE" SANDWICHES, sandwiches with vegan deli slices(Tofurkey is the only one that's kinda funky), fruit, dinner leftovers, couscous salad, vegan sushi, potato or pasta salad.

Dinner: sloppy joes, "sausage" and gravy with homemade biscuits, Spaghetti and Trader Joe's "meatballs" or TVP, lasagna, Thai pad see ew, pad khi mao(drunkard's noodles), tofu+eggplant with basil sauce, yellow thai curry with tofu or vegan chikn and veggies and jasmine rice, Indian dal with homemade roti or dosai, channa masala, aloo gobi, vegetable or minestrone soup, pizza, STEAMED "PORK" BUNS with potstickers or spring rolls

I use these sites to find recipes:
http://www.foodnetwork.com
http://vegweb.com
http://www.recipezaar.com

Any tips for going vegetarian?

Q. I want to go vegetarian but I want to do it in a healthy way. Also, I am having trouble avoiding meat (especially at school, not alot of vegetarian choices). I have had a bit of a revalation and no longer want to consume innocent little animals. Help please?


Answer
1. Do it slow. You are more likely to stick to it if you make it part of your lifestyle instead of making the change all at once.

2. Read about nutrition requirements and understand everything that you need to eat. You have to make up for the protein with beans and greens. It isn't hard once you figure it out, but you need to be sure you understand what your body needs.

3. Take your lunch to school.

4. Take advantage of the meat substitutes in the grocery store. They make it easy to still pack a sandwich and cook many of the same recipes that you are used to. There are fake turkey slices, fake beef and chicken fajita strips, veggie meatballs, fake hot dogs.

5. Read labels - you will be surprised at how many things have animal fat in them.

6. Don't feel bad when you backslide. It happens. It happened to me a lot when I was working the kinks out of becoming vegeterian. I felt discouraged a lot because I felt like I was out of options as a teenager who really didn't have a lot of control over her environment.

7. Talk to your parents. They may be at a loss as to what to cook. After you become educated on vegeterianism you can give them some recipes. A lot of people are surprisingly open to a vegeterian diet. I talked to my parents about it when I was a teenager and they were very supportive. Of course there were some evenings when I had to cook for myself but thats part of life. Over time they have become more vegeterian also and tofu is a regular part of their meals. However your parents may not want to give up meat. Mine were never big meat eaters to begin with, and my dad was actually looking for a low cholesterol diet at the same time so it all worked out.

8. Don't get bummed out when it is hard to fit with your friends. I felt kind of isolated sometimes because people considered it weird to be vegeterian. It was hard to eat at a friend's house.

I started going vegeterian when I was 16 but wasn't a full vegeterian until about 2 yrs later. It just takes time to make such a big switch, but I am so glad that I did! Good luck! By the way tonight my boyfriend and I ate curry tofu which I cooked. He isn't vegeterian but usually likes my veg cooking.

My staple is beans and rice. I can not live without beans and rice because this is an excellent source of protein. There are hundreds of recipes out there so find one you like, and buy a pressure cooker. The pressure cooker is a vegeterian's best friend because dried beans are a great source of protein and a pressure cooker will cook them in a fraction of the time it takes in a pot (about 30 min compared to several hours)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment