Sunday, May 19, 2013

What are some simple, yummy, healthy recipes?

Q. I am looking for some easy, healthy, yummy recipes. Short preparation and cook time preferred. Please keep in mind that I'm a college student that works part time and I cannot spend tons of money either. Also, I do not eat chicken or pork. I prefer to eat seafood most of the time as it is lean and healthy. I eat beef very rarely because I prefer it over iron tablets. Thanks! :)

A. Stir fry - Put a bunch of vegetables in the wok with a touch of oil, serve over short grain brown rice.

Soup - Boil vegetables, throw in some noodles, drop in a raw egg or some cooked beans, how about a few shrimp.

Tortillas, beans & cheese. Slice in some tomatoe and avocado.

Sandwiches - Get nice crusty bread, good cheeses, fresh tomatoes, grilled vegetables, tuna fish. Also smoked fish on bagels.

Pilaf - Rice with herbs & seasonings, mix in toasted nuts & seeds, stir in some minced broccoli, carrot or cauliflower, cook using broth for more flavor, add fresh melon on top

Get some good Indian, Chinese and South Asian cookbooks!


Where can I find healthy recipes?
Q. Lately it seems that the only thing in my home that is healthy is soups, salads, and sandwiches. What is a website that I could find a good variety healthy recipes?

A. i get a lot of inspiration from shape.com community - there are a lot of recipes, struggle stories, diet questions answered, exercise advise etc.


How to get my 3 year old to eat more veggies?
Q. I've bought several cook books in the past to appeal to my son's tastebuds with little evidence of success. The problem: vegetables (primarily)! I have had a few hits but mostly misses. I would like to introduce new recipes before he tires of old ones completely.
What's worked thus far:
Campbell's Healthy Choice soups (unexplicably works for now)
Omlette sandwiches (finely chopped veggies)
Pasta with Spaghetti sauces (again with the fine chopped vegs)

For now we suppliment with Pediasure but I hope not forever.
FYI - Cooked or raw, veggies on their own he will not eat, this includes mashed potatoes. He will try now and again but usually there's gagging and throwing up involved.

A. If your son is eating vegetables in the form o0f the soup..and sauces etc, you are doing much better than many parents!

It is very normal for kids to just stick to what they like for a long time before trying any thing else. SO, he eats soup at alot.or had spag and sauce alot...even if it is every day at every meal..relax..he is eating very healthy!..there is no need to supplement with pedisure at all.

Fresh fruit is very healthy to.
but with his favourite dishes, maybe offer him a different veggie to go with what he has. Don't force it..but eat it yourself, and go on about how yummy it is. If he refuses..oh well...no big deal...he is eating healthy now..he is not looking out on anything.
Eventually..and be warned, it might be in like 3 years or so!!!..he might want to try something new..or he might want to try ti next week..just relax..don't make eating a stressful big deal..it should be relaxing..and enjoyable.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment