Friday, May 24, 2013

What are some easy and cheap lunch ideas?

Q. I have a very limited budget and a very limited lunch break (sometimes I've got 10 minutes to make lunch and eat it between class and work). I have my own apartment with a full kitchen. Any ideas or recipes for balanced, filling lunches in under 5 minutes prep time?

On your marks, get set, GO!

A. <start> I get an hour for lunch. I use 10 minutes to walk home and 10 minutes to walk back, that leaves 40 minutes to come up with something. My default is a sandwich ... typically ham & cheese (I save time by buying cheese slices (Apple Gate Farms makes great cheese) and knowing exactly where everything is (often creating a picture in my mind where everything is before I even get in the door). To ensure that it is filling, I use whole grain bread. I allow myself a handful of chips (or other type of snack to go with it and (if I'm cruising on the sandwhich making) will allow myself an extra moment to open a jar of my sister-in-laws homemade bread & butter pickles. Then I pour a soda into a glass and the whole lunch goes to my desk where I keep my laptop. I eat lunch and multi-task and am usually done inside the 40 minutes. For a treat, I allow myself a Klondike Bar or some cookies (better to eat treats during the day rather than late at night, or even after dinner). The other option is leftovers. Nothing is faster to prepare than unwrapping last night's leftovers and eating them. If you really want to ensure you're having a healthy lunch, you might be more mindful of what you're making for dinner. Lastly, sometimes I make scrambeled eggs and toast for lunch. Get the whole grain bread in the toaster after you put a frying pan over medium heat. Whisk the eggs, oil the pan and scramble the eggs. The eggs and the toast will likely be done at the same time. To make the eggs extra good for you, top them with salsa. I hope these ideas help. Enjoy! <end>


How to lose 25 pounds in 2 and a half months?
Q. I'm a 17 year old female that weighs 175 pounds. I'm 6 feet tall and moderately active. I'm training for the NROTC and I want to look and feel fantastic. I'm a vegetarian that is looking for healthy recipes that are fast. I'm pretty busy especially in the morning so I'd appreciate ideas for breakfast, I usually don't eat breakfast. I just got a membership to a nearby gym so fitness ideas would be great also! Thanks so much!

A. You're on the right track with the exercise, just keep on it!
As for food, eat only whole foods, and no fast food, junk food, or sweets.
Breakfast: Really is the most important meal of the day. It jump starts your metabolism and keeps you from craving and eating a ton later.

Eat oatmeal or multigrain cheerios and some fruit.

Snacks: Also important. Eating 5 times a day, (3 meals and 2 snacks) increases your metabolism (you lose weight faster).

Eat an apple or some carrots.

Lunch: Important to eat, gives you energy, etc. You get the picture.

-Sandwich (turkey, with lettuce and mustard or something, on whole wheat bread) Try to avoid mayonaise. It's quite fattening. Eat some fruits and veggies with it.
or... -Healthy soups. You can find healthy, low calorie soups easily by scanning the soup aisle. Most will be labeled: "Lean..., healthy..., low calorie..., low carb..., etc.) Of course, eat this with fruits and veggies.

Snack: Apples or carrots. Or other fruits or veggies.

Dinner: There are many healthy dinners out there, just a click away. In fact, you can easily find a diet plan on the internet. These are just examples.

Good luck! :)


Can someone put together a healthy vegetarian meal plan for me?
Q. I have trouble sticking to vegetarianism because the lack of knowlege I have on what to eat and what not to eat. Can someone heelp me out?

A. I'll give you some ideas then I'll link you to my favorite websites for recipes.

Day 1)

Morning:
-Leafy green smoothie
-Oatmeal with crushed flax seeds and dried fruit

Afternoon:
-Mediterranean salad with celery, garbanzo beans, olives, spring onions, diced tomatoes.
-Lemon Quinoa Pilaf with Saffron threads
-Toasted Pita with Muhamarra (Hot pepper dip - a Syrian specialty)

Evening:
-Jacket potatoes with any filling of your choice (usually include nutritional yeast for B12).
-Collard green salad.

Snack:
-Carrots, celery, pita and hummus
-Raspberries with agave nectar.
-Almond milk.

Day 2)

Morning:
-Banana + mango + hemp + soy milk smoothie.
-Brown toast with almond butter, flax seeds, wheat germ and jam

Afternoon:
-Tacos made with ground tempeh instead of ground meat.
-Brown/wild rice with pine nuts
-Raw kale salad with a zesty lemon sauce

Evening:
-Soba noodle soup with shiitake mushrooms and flavored Seitan
-Raw sesame seaweed salad
-Sweet potatoes

Snack:
-Home-made corn chips with guacamole + salsa
-Brazilian nuts
-Raw chocolate mousse tart

Day 3)

Morning:
-Raw granola with oat milk and spices.
-Fruit salad

Afternoon:
-"BLT" salad with smoked tempeh, vegenaise, tomatoes, lettuce and croutons
-Pita sandwich with spinach-chickpea spread.

Evening:
-Turkish red lentil soup
-Kisir (Turkish tabbouleh) salad.

Snack:
-Raw chocolate/coconut treats
-Walnuts, pumpkin seeds
-Soy milk

I hope you get the picture. Varied food... fruits, vegetables, sea vegetables, leafy greens, seeds, nuts, legumes/beans, whole grains, Seitan, some soy. Raw desserts, raw salads...

Can't go wrong with that.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment