Thursday, April 10, 2014

What are some healthy foods/snacks I can pack and eat at college?




Sabrina


I'm going to college in the fall and I don't want to eat on the dollar menu everyday in between classes. I want some healthy cheap snacks I can keep in a lunchbox that can fill me up. Any fast vegetable recipes or other foods / snacks I can pack up???

THANKS



Answer
I used to take an assortment of sandwiches.

Healthy School Lunch Ideas?

Q. I'm a high school student who really needs to lose weight. I'm about 50 pounds overweight. I've been working out for an hour a day for the past week, and already feel better. I've also been eating well. The problem is, I'm going back to school in a few days, and need some healthy lunch recipes. I've been eating foods that can't really be packaged and sit in a lunch bag for four hours or so. Do any of you have some healthy recipes? Also, do you recommend any type of thermos or ice pack or something, so I can bring yogurt or cheese? Thanks so much!


Answer
Good for you for recognizing that you need to loose weight and taking action!!!

The brand of thermos I use is literally called "Thermos." It tells you on the packaging how many hours it will stay hot for.. Get at least the 5-7 hour one.. If not higher. Any brand of ice pack works just fine. I have been taking lunch for YEARS and every day I pack leftovers (usually vegetarian sloppy joes), cheese stick (not too healthy though), yogurt, something crunchy, and water.. You can take anything you would normally eat in your lunch box as long as you have a couple of ice packs.

Some good ideas are...
Soup (like cambells, V8 soup, homemade, etc.)
Sandwiches
Leftovers (whatever you eat at home, simply take it to school! I do it all the time)

This looks good....

The veggies that fill it are cut to resemble mini ruler shapes. Pack croutons and salad dressing separately to keep both the croutons and the bread from getting soggy.

Ingredients
Assorted fresh vegetables (cucumbers, carrots, avocados, peppers, etc.)
Pita bread
Lettuce
Croutons (optional)
2 tsp. salad dressing (recipe below)

Directions
Scrub and peel the vegetables. Lay each one on a cutting board and thinly slice it lengthwise into rulerlike shapes. Cut off the top of the pita bread and line the inside with lettuce.
Fill the pocket with the ruler veggies and tightly cover the sandwich with plastic wrap. Pack the pita with a small baggie filled with croutons, if desired, and a small container of honey mustard dressing (see the following recipe).

Google 'school lunch recipes.' I found this on

http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/pack-school-lunches-with-punch-714831/

This looks yummy. Just don't eat too many.

http://familyfun.go.com/back-to-school/back-to-school-lunches-snacks/lunchbox-snacks/sweet-potato-chips-676097/

Oh, and if you are going to take a sandwich, be sure to make it on whole wheat bread. Much healthier.

Best of luck! Hope I helped!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment