Monday, April 7, 2014

Moms - I need some healthy recipes for my kids?




erin8888


I work full time and have a 4 and 2 year old. Time is always short and I usually just throw meals together or get take out. "Meals" I make include hamburger helper, chicken tenders or sandwiches.

I know - this is awful. I need some other options that are quick and healthy for my kids. I'd like to find some casserole recipes that have lots of veggies. Something my kids will like. My 2 year old is really fussy and hates most veggies.

Any ideas for recipes?



Answer
Just grind up a bunch of fruit and vegetables into a fine liquid, and inject into their abdomen with a large bore needle. Works well.

Healthy foods for vegetarians?




yowassapdo


First time i tried it my parents got mad at me for only eating fries, bread, cereal...unhealthy options. But now i want to try it out again because i really enjoyed my month of not eating meat...what are some healthy options for vegetarians?


Answer
Do you want healthy options that are just as convenient as what you were eating the first time around, or do you want to learn how to cook? I'll assume the first--at least as you're just beginning. The obvious solution to the first question is fruits and vegetables since they can be eaten raw--very convenient!

IDEAS
1. Vegetable and fruit smoothies
2. Fruit shakes
3. Yogurt fruit dip with honey, cinnamon, and whatever.
4. Bean vegetable dip, such as hummus
5. Bean roll-ups--whole grain tortillas with beans dipped in salsa
6. Sandwiches/wraps.
You can replace the traditional component, meat, in tons of ways: avocado, portobello mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, tofu (seasoned, sliced, and fried), peanut butter, bell pepper, fake meat, cucumber, honey, jam, cauliflower (sliced and seasoned), leafy greans, beans, bean burgers.
Condiments and garnishes can be tomato, spinach, raisins, fried garlic, oregano, gaucamole, salsa, lettuce, olives, and even some fruits like mango or pineapple.
7. Nuts and dried fruits
8. Sweet fruit or savory vegetable quesadillas
9. Romaine lettuce wraps (http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/live-spring-rolls-with-lemon-ginger-dipping-sauce )
10. Out of the box salads like grapefruit-tomato or mango-black-bean. Dress with fresh cilantro and chili powder or make your own vinaigrette.
11. Raw or roasted bell peppers stuffed with hummus or other beans. Cook lentils in vegetable broth. Delicious
12. Pre-made "healthy" berry ice pops
13. Fruit and yogurt parfaits made with frozen fruit
14. Stir-fries--oily but you get your vegetables in. I don't know a vegetarian that doesn't eat these a lot.

General tips: When choosing meals, choose ones where the flavors come from vegetables, like tomatoes, or seasoning--not from fat or sugar. Try eating vegetables without butter or fried like in super easy soups, or just steamed and seasoned. Soup is an easy thing to first learn how to cook. Broth, vegetables, seasoning, and maybe a grain. Easy.

YOUR PARENTS
I know parents are annoyed by helping their vegetarian kids with their nutrition since they view it as unnecessary, but they really should since they're supposed to take care of you. Really try to get your parents to buy conveniently canned beans, nuts/seeds, and fruits and vegetables. Make vegetables the highlight of the meal, not the side.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment