Saturday, December 14, 2013

How to cut back or get rid of cheese, sour cream, and mayo?

healthy egg salad sandwich recipe yogurt
 on cream or a huge egg egg mini egg
healthy egg salad sandwich recipe yogurt image



Frankie


I've been giving serious thoughts to my diet. It's fairly healthy with lots of fresh fruits and veggies, lean protein, and whole grains. I even make my own bread. However, we do have a fair amount of regular dairy and mayo. My husband likes things like tuna sandwiches and egg salad which are made with mayo and then a slice of cheese on top.

We both need to lose weight, but I feel the dairy and mayo may be holding us back. We have cheese almost daily and recently sour cream a lot. I know a little isn't bad, but for me a little seems to grow into more than necessary because I like it so much.

Examples of typical dairy use: sour cream on bean burritos, shredded cheddar on vegetarian spaghetti, slice of cheese on tuna or egg salad sandwich, sometimes we even just have cheese melted on a slice of bread when in a hurry. I also add a cup of fat free milk to our morning oatmeal, but that serves 4 people so the amount each gets is small.

So what are some ways to cut back or things to substitute for the cheese, sour cream, and mayo? I add plain yogurt to the mayo sometimes which cuts it down by half. (please don't judge unless you have tried it, it actually tastes good). I also have 2 kids and don't want them to feel deprived (or me if I only give it to them)



Answer
U can use mustard based recipes for egg and potato salad. Mashed avacado for sandwiches. Mustard or ketchup instead of mayo. Little bit of olive oil n vinegar good give flavoring for salads , sandwiches too. Greek yogurt for sour cream in All recipes.

How to improve my egg salad recipe?




Makeup


I use regular mustard, mayo, dill pickle relish, salt and pepper and celery seed. What can I do to improve on my egg salad recipe. I was thinking of maybe adding worcestershire or ranch dressing. Thanks for your help!:)


Answer
12 Egg Salad Recipes to Try
Tex Mex Wrap: From Egg Farmers of Canada.
Country Style: Ingredients include tomato, yogurt, spring onion, mayo, onion powder, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, lettuce, chives and served on buns. From Kayotic Kitchen.
Curried with Caramelized Onion: Serve it over spinach or greens, on a few slices of toast, or wrapped in naan with bit of chutney. From Serious Eats.
Martha’s Favorite: This simple sandwich is a healthy — and delicious — lunch choice. From Martha Stewart.
Special: Enjoy this as a stuffing for fresh tomatoes or a spread on sandwiches. It could even be used as a dip with your favorite crackers. Found at Taste Of Home.
Tangy & Savory: This is suitable for adults and those with discriminating taste. It’s so simple to prepare and the tangy, savory mix spread over a bed of fresh arugula versus sandwiched between two pieces of bread won’t make you feel the need to run laps after. From Dishing Up Delights.
With Avocado: I have made this twice, and eaten it thrice. Each time it was pure delight! Don’t let the name frighten you away, give this a try! The best thing about it? It’s clean! It’s just too good not to share. From Odd Dotty Dollymaker.
Mini-Sandwich with Bacon: What makes this a little different is the crisp bacon pieces and celery. It’s a great balance of flavor that also gives the mini sandwiches a nice crunch. Plus, you can’t deny the cuteness factor of making them mini. From Culinary Cory.
Indian Style: This was just something I made up as I went along, but it was surprisingly successful and the bowl was scraped clean at the trivia table. From One Hot Stove.
Fancy Version: From at The New York Times.
For Sandwiches: Made with mayo, lemon juice, celery, chopped chives, lettuce and served on whole grain bread (toasted). Found at 101 Cookbooks.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment