Saturday, May 18, 2013

Can you give me a healthy kid-friendly easy recipe?

Q. Hi,
My hubby is going to Iraq soon. So its just going to be me and my 2 daughters (ages 5 and 2) for awhile. What i am looking for is some easy healthy kid friendly recipes. I am also hoping that these recipes have "normal" ingredients, LoL. Like i have NO idea what a leek is, i don't know if that is even know if thats spelled right.
Anyways... healthy....kid friendly. I would like to lose some weight while he is gone and not have to make a separate meal for my kids and also add some recipes to my very small collection that are healthy. Please don't refer me to any recipe sights because I've looked at a billion of them and have found very little that helps me. I would like mother tested and approved Ideas. Thanks in advance :)

A. Replace all your ground beef with ground turkey to save 50% in calories.
Brown it in big batches, then freeze in 1# baggies. Thaw it out to make tacos (add a pkg of taco seasoning & simmer til dried, put on hard shells or tortillas w/lettuce, cheese, tomatoes.
Thaw & add to a jar of spaghetti sauce & serve over noodles.
Thaw and add a can of manwich, simmer, serve on buns.

Get a crockpot & put a beef or pork roast in it, cook all day with onions, carrots & potatoes. Use the leftovers for sandwiches, stew or soup the next day.

Breakfast-for-dinner is a hit for kids: make french toast or pancakes, or scrambled eggs for dinner. Or "toad-in-a-hole"--
cut a circle in a bread slice with a cup. Fry on one side til golden, flip, and break an egg into the hole. Fry til done.
(don't throw the circles away--fry them too)


I need some healthy and easy recipes for lunch?
Q. I want some healthy and easy recipes that I can make for lunch. With cheap ingredients and that I can eat on a regular basis. Also maybe some healthy snack ideas?(preferably cheap) thanks!

A. I like to make chicken salad for lunches. It’s healthy, fast, and full of protein to keep you full for a long time. Just boil 4 skinless/boneless chicken breasts (around $7), then dice into small squares. Mix in a big bowl with 1 cup mayonnaise, ¼ cup mustard, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 diced onion, 5 diced stalks of celery, salt & pepper (around $5). So, for a total of only 12 bucks, you have lunch for every day of the week.

I pre-portion the Chicken Salad into ziplock sandwich baggies and keep in the fridge, so they are ready to go for each day. Just use a small insulated lunch bag with a freezer pack, to keep the food fresh until lunch time. For a snack, I bring along a bag of baby carrots and ranch dressing. I work in an office, and this is a great lunch for Mon-Fri. Saves me bundles of money and is much healthier than eating fast food every day. If you want, you can take bread to put the salad on, but since I eat low-carb foods, I skip the bread.


What are some healthy and tasty recipes?
Q. So far, the only foods that I know how to make are sandwiches, spaghetti, and sushi. What are some recipes that are easy to make, healthy, and relatively inexpensive?

A. Black beans and brown rice with stewed tomatoes, onion and green pepper is easy to make, inexpensive.

Any whole grain pasta dishes, supplement them with a generous amount of veggies. I love broccoli, so lots of times make pasta dish and add lots of steamed broccoli mixed in.

Pizza is healthy, believe or not. It's how is made that makes it healthy, using veggies (I like steamed broccoli), stewed tomatoes (has green pepper and onion, crushed and reduced down in sauce pan) with added italian spice, garlic (minced or powder), sometimes cajun spice. Can add a little parmesan before the pizza goes in the oven. When it comes out, that is when I add the steamed veggies.

Stir fry veggies and cut up chicken with brown rice is good for you, easy to fix, and inexpensive. I like to use Kikkoman Stir-Fry Sauce, tastes so good.

I like to make tuna cakes using leftover bread, toasted and ran thru the processor for crumbs. Add a little dill pickle relish, dijon mustard, powdered garlic and onion. Cook in a little Canola oil till brown on both sides. Serve with brown rice, veggies or whatever. Sometimes I make it as a sandwich with lettuce, tomato, onion.
----





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment