Sunday, May 12, 2013

Could you please recommend healthy vegetarian or vegan daily menu?

Q. I need the menu to hasten my weight loss. Thanks.

A. Here are some web sites with some great vegetarian/vegan food.
http://amys.com
http://gardenburger.com
http://yvesveggie.com
http://sunshineburger.com
http://rightfoods.com
http://veganstore.com -they have chocolate!

If you have a dog here is a site to get vegan dog food: http://www.v-dogfood.com/


Here are some good recipes:


Stir fry- You need cut up tofu, olive oil, steamed veggies, and cooked rice

Get a frying pan and coat it with olive oil. The put the tofu in the pan and brown each side of it. Next, add the veggies. Add a little more olive oil and put in the rice. Mix everything up and then let it sit on the stove, occasionally stirring it to make sure it doesn't burn. After about a minute and a half of that put it in a bowl and enjoy!


Hummus- chick peas, lemon juice, paprika, black pepper, and any other spices/seasonings you like

Puree the chick peas. Then add a little lemon juice, paprika, pepper, and other spices. Then stir. Serve with a pita, with cucumbers, or on a veggie wrap.



Here are some snack and dinner suggestions:

Snacks:
Celery with peanut butter
Apples with peanut butter
Pita with hummus
Raisins
Amy's Apple Toaster Pops
All natural popsicles
Natural Valley bars
Fruit Leather
Silk Chocolate Soy Milk
Naked Juice
Apple chips

Dinners:

Tofu Stir Fry
Amy's Pizzas
Amy's entrees
Sandwiches made with Yves meatless deli slices
Tofu Scramble
Gardenburgers
Natural Oven's bagels
Dr. McDougall's Soups and Noodle Soups
Soy Cheese Quesedillas
Veggie Wraps

Whole foods is a great store for vegetarians/vegans, so I recommend grocery shopping there. You also can get a lot of the things I listed above there.

Here is a daily menu:


Breakfast:
3/4 c. fruit
1 low fat/ fat free yogurt or 1 soy yogurt
1 c. juice
a little ice
Mix it in a blender for a smoothie


Lunch:
1 spinach tortilla
2 tbsp. hummus
slice cucumbers
carrots

Put hummus on the tortilla and put the cucumbers on top of the hummus. Then roll it up in to a wrap. Enjoy with iced tea and carrots.



After noon snack:
An apple
a granola bar


Dinner:
Tofu
Steamed veggies
Soy sauce
Cooked brown rice

Get a frying pan and coat it with olive oil. The put the tofu in the pan and brown each side of it. Next, add the veggies. Add a little more olive oil and put in the rice. Mix everything up, top it with soy sauce, and then let it sit on the stove, occasionally stirring it to make sure it doesn't burn. After about a minute and a half of that put it in a bowl and enjoy!


How long do you have to diet to start noticing weight loss results?
Q. I'm currently sixteen years old, five feet seven inches, and one hundred-sixty pounds. I downloaded this app called Lose It and it says (for my weight) that I should only eat 1,312 calories a day. So if I stay within that budget, how long will it take for me to start noticing results? My goal weight is one hundred pounds and the app says that if I lose two pounds per week I should reach my goal by November 24th. I've never dieted before so I no pretty much nothing about this. I also exercise every night with an app called Easy Abs. Thank you to anyone who answers!

A. Yikes! That is scary!!!! Do NOT lose that much weight in that short amount of time, it's extremely unhealthy. What I suggest you download is an app called FitnessPal. I use it. The healthy calorie intake for me is 1800 calories a day. But I drink skim milk, eat whole wheat bread, and eat lots of veggies. I treat myself to junk once a week, like a small cookie.
I also run on the treadmill for 30 minutes every other day. Some days I do a Julien Micheals workout.

I was overweight before, and I've the course of four months I now have abs! :)
The calories don't matter as much, but Fitness Pal gives you a way to view the sugar and fat intake as well. Don't get too obsessed with the calories, exercising or weight. The best thing to do is to read up on healthy foods. I could give an example of what I eat pretty much.
Breakfast:
2 large eggs with chopped peppers and tomatoes in it, 2 Morningstar sausage, 1 banana, 1 cup skim milk.
OR (different day) 2 cups of 80 calorie fiber one chocolate cereal with 1 cup skim milk
Lunch:
Apple, Clementine, 2 pieces of whole wheat bread, 1 oz. Cheese, 1 oz almonds, fat free yogurt, tuna in water, 2 tablespoons mayo
OR (different day) Turkey sandwich instead of tunafish
Dinner:
Recipe out of the south beach diet
Or a salad with lots of different veges


How long until I see results with weight loss and dieting.?
Q. I am a female, age 16. I weigh 241 lbs. Recently, I decided I want to change my life style and get healthier. I work out for a half hour doing cardio twice a day, take a half hour walk, and use two pound dumbbells for 12 minutes a day on my arms. I also cut my calorie intake to around 1500 calories a day. What I was wondering is, how long until will it be for me to see results? Thanks.

A. Cutting your calorie intake to 1500 calories is not getting healthy. Losing weight is about learning to eat the right things, not restricting how much you're eating. Actively try to eat a balanced diet, and eat in moderation - eat slowly, eat your veggies first, and you'll stop when you're full. Treat yourself occasionally. If you eat well 90% of the time, that other 10% won't matter.

Your exercise is decent, I recommend the following. Ditch the 1/2 hour walk - you're not going to go far enough in 1/2 hour to burn a significant number of calories or make fitness gains beyond what the half hour cardio sessions are giving you. The cardio sessions are probably the most productive part of what you've described. 2 pound dumbbells are useless - they are not heavy enough to do anything. I've eaten sandwiches heavier than that. Any weight that you can lift more than around 12 times in a row is not heavy enough to stimulate gains in strength. Be sure you ease into all of this new exercise, too much too soon is a recipe for injury, you might consider taking a week or two to gradually increase it.

This isn't news to you, but you're pretty overweight. This means you'll see initial results pretty quickly. The more you lose, the slower it will start to come off as you approach a healthy weight. I suggest only weighing yourself once per week, no more. Remember, getting healthy isn't a race, anything good, anything worth doing, takes time - and this is certainly worth doing.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment