Tuesday, January 28, 2014

What is your favorite recipe for a healthy Toddler Snack?

our best healthy sandwich recipes
 on Best Salads | salad recipes | salads for lunch | LATEST LIFESTYLE ...
our best healthy sandwich recipes image



bluefroggy


We need more ideas. Our favorite to date is Sweet Potato Balls.

Mix Together:
insides of 2 sweet potatoes
1 beaten egg
2 tablespoons milk

Form into balls and roll in
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 teas. fresh finely minced parsely

cook by baking on greased baking sheet in pre-heated oven for 10-15 mintes or until egg is throughly cooked.

Look forward to hearing news ideas. Thanks.



Answer
Mini pizzas are always fun, made with whole wheat or whole grain english muffins, pizza sauce, reduced-fat cheese, and topped with lots of yummy veggies!

Or, cut up veggies or fruits in fun shapes like stars or hearts, or use cookie cutters for sandwichs for a fun snack.

All finger food is good like gerber flavored puffs, any kind of cereal like cheerios or kix. I would go for cheerios, they now come in whole grain (:


Hope that helps!

I need some easy food recipes for children 5 and under?




Karah Hend


My children are real picky eaters. Most of the time I cook something half of it always ends up in the trash, then I resort to little snacks which is unhealthy for them, and then I worry that they are not eating enough. I need a quick and easy and preferably healthy meal that children 5 and under will eat up. Thank you :)


Answer
Could it be that your kids are refusing to eat becasuse they know that if they don't eat dinner, Mommy will give them the junk instead? My daughter is two weeks into her sixth year and my son is less than two months from turning three. They both try that. They both know that if they refuse to eat for the sake of refusing to eat, they don't get a bedtime snack (which is usually a small treat, i.e., a cookie, a small Girl Scout bar [which we bought up while they had them], etc. The pure junk.) If they do want something before bed, it's bread with something (whole wheat bread with SmartBalance spread, peanut butter, etc.) or fruit or leftover vegetable from dinner.

We live with my husband's parents, and his younger sister. My husband and is parents are not veg*n, my sister-in-law is vegetarian (but eats a lot of junk "food"), my daughter is a "flexitarian" (i.e., she could have tofu or a veggie deli "meat" sandwich for lunch, and have meat with dinner), and my son and I are vegan. Even though three different meals are often made (except on Fridays; My FIL is member of Catholic Church and does not eat any meat but fish on Fridays, regardless of the liturgical season), then it's all veg*n or leftovers. Even with all of that, we are nto short order cooks. We cook what we think everybody will like and if they don't, then they don't eat.

There are exceptions, though. Monday of this week my husband took his brother to the nearest cancer hospital for his treatments. He wasn't sure when he would be home and we didn't think about story hour at the library that evening. We had dinner after we got home and the kids were tired. My daughter smartly refused the Kraft macaroni and cheese my MIL made and wanted the tomatoes, lettuce and whole wheat bread from the BLTs that were also available. I didn't have a problem with that and was quite happy with her choices. My MIL made macaroni and cheese for my two-year-old and me-- whole wheat pasta with rice milk cheese and a bit of soy milk and Smart Balance spread. He at half of his bowl with struggle. It was late and he was tired and I think he decided that he didn't have to eat if his older sister (who was also fighting) didn't have to. Ugh. Most nights, it's easy, but my son still thinks that he can run around and eat at the same time-- a habit I have tried to discourage, but my husband and his mother are cool with. (My husband thinks it's okay for our son to sit and eat if my husband is feeding him. I help my son when it's difficult to get some of the food out, like the last few bites, but I don't sit and feed him like a baby learning.)

Anyway, quit giving in to your kids. They are smart and seem to know they can manipulate Mommy. On very rare occasions, I let my kids get away with it-- i.e., when I am tired, when they are tired, when we're both quite tired and I just want them to eat something so they sleep better at night with food in them, or when I'm just being nice and letting them get away with it just to think they got the upper hand that time.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment