Friday, June 28, 2013

What are some good meals and snacks a five-and-a-half year old can help fix?

healthy vegetarian sandwich recipes for kids
 on Sandwich - Healthy Recipes for Kids | Indian recipes for kids | Kids ...
healthy vegetarian sandwich recipes for kids image



CrazyChick


So far his help in the kitchen has consisted of helping make sandwiches and microwaving frozen dinners.

He likes to help, and asks often. My kids will eat pretty much anything, except one won't eat nuts (peanut butter is ok, though).

I will be right there with him, so he'll be closely supervised.



Answer
I suggest:

Pot Pies
Fruit Jellies [homemade jello cups]

I saw this on Take Home Chef last night and he did it with a bunch of kids for a get-together. It looked like fun.

Other ideas:
Family Fun magazine usually has fun, kid friendly stuff in it. I used to make stuff out of the recipes section all the time with my niece when she was younger.

Shmooed Food has some healthy, kid friendly recipes as well. My whole family loved making [and eating] Vegan Twinkies and Vegan Goldfish crackers from the recipes she invented on the site.

Also on the healthy side, In A Vegetarian Kitchen has some great stuff too.

I've made some stuff similar to what's on amazingmoms.com with my niece as well. Most of it turned out well.

And if you want to go out on a limb and make edible art supplies [because what kid doesn't like art you can eat?], check out KinderArt's Art Kitchen recipes. I've made some similar recipes with my niece and she had a blast...and so did her aunt. :]

Does anyone have any ideas of what I could bring to lunch?

Q. I'm going to a public school from a Catholic school, and there is a student at this school who has a severe peanut allergy. Normally I would just say, "Screw other people's needs," but no nuts are allowed in the building at all. So my problem is, what will I bring for lunch? I'm a vegetarian, and, of course, I'm not really comfortable with being un-vegetarian, so if they are serving meat in the cafeteria, what can I bring besides salad that will fill me up?


Answer
Are you looking for easy recipes that you can make fast and bring to that lunch? There are so many options. Why don't you start looking at these healthy sandwiches - all without peanuts. I am eating these almost daily in summer, like a whole wheat bread with mustard greens, hummus, and tomatoes or a sandwich wrap with veggies, sesame seeds, and ginger:

http://www.belsandia.com/healthy-lunch.html

I also have plenty of vegetarian full meal recipes that you can prepare. If someone in your home cooks for you, have them make plenty of one recipe and freeze it, so you can take a portion with you every other day or so:http://www.belsandia.com/healthy-meals.html

Why don't you try the vegetarian meatloaf recipe, then bring it to school and have other kids try it too. Wouldn't it be fun if they like it and won't even notice that it is meat-free? Maybe you can win over some like-minded eaters this way:

http://www.belsandia.com/vegetarian-meatloaf.html




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment