Sunday, May 26, 2013

What are some EASY HEALTHY VEGETARIAN things I can make with the stuff lying around my house?

Q. I have lots of fresh veggies, veg. mayo & cream cheese, bread, tofu, rice, vegetable broth etc. all the basics, so nothing too too fancy. I am trying to cut back on sodium and I'm trying to lose weight so nothing too salty and too fattening. I just need simple easy recipes that are healthy and low sodium. Any ideas?

A. You might not have this laying around your house, but I like to make a sandwich with baby spinach leaves, swiss cheese, tomato, avocado, and mayo and honey mustard. Or I'll grate some cheese into a tortilla, fold it in half, and make a mini quesadilla. You could always steam some rice and vegetables.


Does anyone know any good vegaterian recipes, or links to sites with great meatless meals?
Q. My family is trying to go veg but I need ideas of new foods that we can substitue for our regular meat and potatoes fare

A. in the past 2 days I have come across a few sites that will be helpful answering your question:

Vegetarianism in a Nutshell
American Dietetic Association (ADA) Position Paper -- 2003
Food Guide for North American Vegetarians (ADA & Dietitians of Canada)
Quick and Easy Low-Cost Vegan Menus
Calcium in the Vegan Diet
Choosing and Using a Dietitian
Diabetes
Feeding Vegan Kids
HealthyFast Food for Pre-Schoolers
Heart Healthy Diets: The Vegetarian Way
Iron in the Vegan Diet
Meals on Wheels Four Week Menu
Protein in the Vegan Diet
A Senior's Guide to Good Nutrition
USDA School Meals Initiative for Healthy Children
The Vegan Diet During Pregnancy and Lactation
Vegan Nutrition in Pregnancy and Childhood
by Reed Mangels, Ph.D., R.D. and Katie Kavanagh-Prochaska
Vegetarian Nutrition for Teenagers
Vitamin B12 in the Vegan Diet
For more Vegetarian Nutrition Articles, see Nutrition and Scientific Department Notes and Updates in the Vegetarian Journals index.
http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/

VeganMania
Kreeli's Vegan Cookery Site

Beverages
Breakfasts
Cuisine of the World
Salads
Sandwiches & Burgers
Snacks Dips & Spreads
Soups

Main Dishes
Beans & Legumes
Grains
Nuts and Seeds
Pasta
Pies
Tofu, Seitan and TVP
Vegetables

Side Dishes
Potatoes
Rice and other Grains
Veggies

Desserts & Sweet Things
Candy and Bars
Cookies
Deep Fried Bananas
Frozen Desserts
Pies & Cakes
Puddings, Mousses & Custards
Toppings

Vegan Ingredient Substitutions
Eggs
Milk and Cream
Mayonnaise
Sour Cream
Whipped Cream
Seitan
Gravies

Non-dairy Cheeses
Brie
Kinda Cheese
American Cheese
Cheese Sauces
Mozzarella
Almonsen Sprinkle

Whats Up With?
Sugar
Oils
Margarine
Tofu
Grains

http://www.veganmania.com/


What are some fast school lunches for a teenager?
Q. I'm a freshman in high school and I have to make my lunch to bring to school. I can bring things that need to be refrigerated and things that need under a minute in the microwave. I don't really like sandwiches very much, or at least not normal ones like peanut butter and jelly just because I've had them way too much. I kind of want something more unique for lunch. I can cook just about anything, so any recipe will work, it just needs to be fast! I really can't spend more than 20 minutes on lunch each day unless it's a special occasion, and even 20 minutes is pushing it. Thanks! :)

Also, I know I already posted this but it's in the wrong category.

A. I'm 15 and I bring in loads of stuff. For instance if I have pasta or rice for dinner, I put it into a plastic tupperware and for lunch it becomes a salad, and I can just grab it in the morning. However you may not like that. Other days I bring in soup and bread, however this requires heating in the morning and carrying in a thermos flask- this may take too long however it only takes me 10 minutes. Also I sometimes make pasta fresh sometimes and put it into a flask too to keep it warm- this takes 15 minutes however while its cooking I eat breakfast, get dressed, brush my teeth etc.
If I bring a sandwich I put philly cream cheese in it with tomato, or hummus, or cheese and cucumber, depends every day. Im vegetarian however in your sandwich you could put turkey or chicken or beef if you eat those, maybe even cold meats from dinner the night before. WIth the sandwich I normally bring a healthy equivalent to crisps like rice cakes or veg sticks like carrots, and a piece of fruit. Also maybe something chocolatey or sweet too, alongside a drink like a smoothie or juice and a piece of fruit.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment