Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Veg Meals for kids - Lunches or Dinner?

Q. Ive just recently given up meat.
Just looking for some meal ideas for the kids.
Ive gone on to many sites and they seem quite elaborate.
I need something SIMPLE and tasty.
Thanks in advance :o)

A. I like the basics: peanut butter sandwiches. But tofu and meat substitutes taste great and are healthy. You can slice it and put it in a taco. Hummus vegetable wraps. Try vegcooking.com or theveganunchbox.com. You can rent cookbooks from libraries. Pretzels with peanutbutter. http://vegkitchen.com/kid-friendly-recipes.htm. hope I helped!


Healthy recipes for picky eaters!?
Q. I am getting ready to have gastric bypass (I am a big woman and need the help). My husband and my son (3 years old. Also have a daughter but she is 8 months) are picky eaters. My husband would like to get healthier and we both agree we need to set up our kids need to be taught to be healthy as early as possible. What are some healthy recipes for my picky eaters? No onions, peppers, or mushrooms please.

A. Oh hell, they don't seem so picky. Just no onion, peppers or mushroom. My kids ate what I put in front of them and liked it all. Just don't let them get away with saying they don't like something until they've at least tried one bite of it. If it really repulses them, then ya know that's out for them.

Grilled Lemon Herbed Chicken, grilled zucchini, garlic toast.
Greek Chicken and Potatoes with Greek Salad
Antipasto Salad and Crostini
Greens with Albacore salad atop.
Fresh sauted Spinach in garlic olive oil with a pinch of nutmeg, sprinkled with fresh lemon juice once cooked. Top with Seared Sea Scallops.
Lentil Soup
Chicken and Rice soup
Dijon, lemon juice and rosemary marinated lean pork chops on the grill, grilled veg kabobs, side salad.
Grilled lean steaks, small baked potatoes, bed of greens with slices of pears, topped with sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, gorgonzola and a homemade raspberry vinaigrette.
Lemon Glazed Ham steak (cut fat out first), potatoes galette, candied brussel sprouts.
Beef, Barley and veg stew with biscuits made with sugar free almond milk.
Deli sandwiches are good. Just use whole grain bread. I never had the opportunity to try white bread until sometime in the 70's when I was a teen. We ate healthy. Daddy was a farmer.
Puerto Rican Pork Stew (so good and full of veg's)
Shish ka bobs with any assortment of meat and veg's, herbed garlic toast.
Pasta, Asparagus and various veg salad with fresh basil, lemon and dijon vinaigrette.
Herbed baked Barrimundi served over spinach salad. Maybe top it with your favorite chimmichurra sauce. There are so many to choose from.
Stir fried vegs and protein of your choice over brown rice or whole wheat pasta.
Egg Drop Soup with Chinese Pea Pods in it. Really good.
Fresh fruit salad with fresh mint. No sugar. Pineapple is quite sweet as it is.

Anyway Hon, there's a lot you can do. Just have to limit the carbs a bit, and try to use olive oil whenever possible. Like when you make garlic toast, use half butter, half olive oil. When you need a bit of oil to toss oven fries or veg's in, use olive oil. Use olive oil to saute vegs, make vinaigrettes. It's GMO free and naturally good for you. I wish you and the family the best. Maybe ya'll could take a short walk with a frisbee after dinner. I can't do a frisbee to save my life, but perhaps you'll be busy chasing it like I would.
Best to ya.


I need a shopping list?
Q. I'm making the transition to vegetarian and I need a shopping list for the essential vegetarian foods my parents agreed to let me go vegetarian as long as I "don't bring tofu in to the house" I know it sucks buuuuut yeah what do I need to buy some vegan friends of mine said I'm going to need to get a lot of protein In my diet... so if anyone could make a shopping list of the basic foods to buy that would be great... recipes would help a lot as well

A. There's some good advice here.
I would add...
I'm surprised your vegan friends would say you need a lot of protein. You actually need far less than most people think and you get protein in veggies. I'd be more concerned with making sure you get enough calories from whole foods. If you are getting enough calories each day and most of your calories are coming from whole foods (not processed foods) you are more than likely going to be getting plenty of protein.
I would learn to reallly like beans and lentils. Buy them dry in bulk. They digest best if you soak them for at least 24 hours (they break down enzyme inhibitors that trditionally make legumes hard to digest). You can pick up some spices to make different kinds of meals (like chilis, Mexican pinto beans [put them in a blender for refried beans], soups, bbq beans, get creative!) in a crock pot so you can have them simmering all day on low heat and keep snacking from the pot.

I'd suggest getting really creative with salads. Besides the regular stuff (lettuce, tomatoes, red onion) try chopping up some zucchini, fresh corn cut off the cob, chopped up broccoli and carrots, some olives, spinach, a handful of nuts...and I sprinkle the salad with Bragg's "live" apple cider before I put on dressing and end up using half the salad dressing (I love Annie's Natural's goddess dressing or Trader Joe's spicy peanut). There's a lot of really good vegan dressings out there, but they can be pricey! Using apple cider vinegar, too, is good for you and makes the dressings stretch.

I keep cans of refried beans in my pantry for when I don't have beans already soaked and cooking. I love Amy's Kitchen's organic refried beans, but I am not too picky. I pick up vegetarian refried beans (like Rosarita's) whenever I see them on sale. They're a quick snack.

Brown rice is way healthier than white rice. I hated it the first time I tried cooking with it. Let it sit in the fridge a few hours before using it in a recipe! There's a lot you can do with it. Spanish rice and fried rice are two regulars in our house.

Instead of high soy burgers try some of the other varieties. They make them out of sunflower and rice (Sunshine Burgers) and in dry mixes (Nature Burger) and veggies (Dr. Praeger's) and so many other varieties and brands. A lot of vegetarians overdo the soy. Moderation is smart. I try and not have more than one or two high soy meals a week. Try almond milk instead of soy (you can even make it if you're adventurous - just google directions). Don't bother with too many soy cheeses or fake cour creams and all that crap (I'm assuming you're going to move right past vegetarian and become strict veg or vegan eventually because you seem like a smart kid). Instead of soy mayo try the Vegenaise that is made with grapeseed oil or better yet, just use mustard on sandwiches. They have so many different kinds of mustards! Instead of soy lunchmeats just try a veggie sandwich with a lot of pickles and tomatoes.

I'd pick up egg replacer - it's a powder you can use instead of egg to make all kinds of things that normally require egg - waffles, cakes, muffins, cookies , etc. Imagine all that stuff without the cholesterol and fat. Sweet!

I'd get in the habit of using corn tortillas. I can't get my husband to join me in the switch, but gosh white flour is such crap. It's pretty much devoid of nutrition and it's empty calories. A tortilla at someplace like Chipotle's is like 360 calories!

Mmm Chipotles. The black beans are vegetarian and the guacamole is dairy free!

Tofu is not that great, by the way. I've used it twice and never felt the need to use it again.

Try not to overdo the peanuts and peanut butter. They almost always are infected with high levels of aflatoxin (a highly carcinogenic mold).

There are so many more tips I could go on forever. Hang out here and ask a lot of questions (but beware the trolls and veg-haters - just ignore them) and do a lot of googling. I highly recommend a book called BECOMING VEGETARIAN (and BECOMING VEGAN when you take that plunge). It'll help you get all your nutritional needs straight. A lot of people just think they can get rid of meat and eat everything else they used to eat and they'll be fine, but there are things your body was getting from meat and now you need to make sure you replace those nutrients with plant-based foods.

The only supplement you might need is B12 if you decide to cut out a lot of the dairy and eggs. In animals the B12 gets into the flesh and secretions because their feed is infected with bacteria. Our food has that same bacteria, but we wash it off. Nutritional yeast is a good way to supplement - you use it like a spice. I sprinkle it in pasta sauces or stir it into bean dishes. It's pretty yummy.

I wish you the best of luck! Going veg is one of the smartest things you will ever do! If you reallly want to know why, read THE CHINA STUDY.

Oh, yeah, P.S. Milk does NOT make your bones stronger! In FACT, milk may make bones more brittle. The studies have shown it. You're just not hearing about it because the dairy industry is strong and we've got decades worth of people saying you need milk for strong bones. False! Consider that the U.S. is #3 in milk consumption and also #3 in bone fractures. How does that add up if milk makes your bones stronger? There is TONS of info out there to back this all up. Including the China Study, which was written by the professor of nutrition at Cornell. It's going to take decades before we can break people of the habit of saying milk is good for you. Be ahead of the game and check out the research for yourself. It could save your life (because milk can trigger cancer, too).





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment