Thursday, April 25, 2013

I just got married and I need ideas for cooking?

Q. In my gift list I wanted a George Forman grill but I have no idea for what recipes or how can I use it. I got one of those rice maker pots (I believe you can also used to stem vegetables). What are the best recipes to make mashed potatoes (from scratch) the best tasting stem vegetables,etc
Before I got married I never cook so I am kind of lost. What is the best way to learn. Food Network Channel or buying cook books. Thank you for your help

A. So happy for you and your husband Sandra....nice to see you want to "cook" that is the most important part of this thing we call "eating"....decisions, decisions, decisions! I've been married for over 40 years and if I had to start from scratch..I think having a pantry of spices and herbs would be something very important so when I went to cook I'd have correct flavors for the meats and veggies and desserts I'd be preparing.

I'd sit down with a notebook and ask your husband what are his favorites...main courses and also yours plus salads, desserts and beverages. Then you can start your grocery list with the aid of the newspaper check for the sales that usually come out on Wednesday or Thursdays depending on where you live..and the coupons you clip to save a few dollars at the store.

Start with the weekend...planning for the day you are off from work. If you decide you want to cook a "roasted chicken" on Sunday then you will have leftovers for the next day. One day it can be used hot....and the next day cold in a big salad and if you have more left put it in a sandwich.

If you have just one cup of chicken left it's great in a stir fried rice dish. You just need some cooked cold rice, onions, peanut oil...garlic, frozen peas thawed soy sauce and 1 egg beaten and cooked in margarine like a pancake...you cut it up in ribbons..and mix lightly at the end of the cooking...heat the wok or deep frying pan add the oil and then saute the onions add the rice and other ingredients...it's ready in no time...

The extras you have in the refrigerator and on the shelves help make the meal complete..like cheeses, pickles, breads, fruit canned or fresh...instant puddings..or cooked puddings.. and beverage and you can't forget dessert.

I suggest a "first cookbook" a basic one...all the cooks on the food channel have their own book out but you really need a basic one that their's might not include the basics you need. How to make a white sauce..cheese sauce...how to make gravy...or a plain pasta sauce....those kinds of things and measuring equivalents one egg equals a tablespoon of mayonnaise that kind of thing. One cookbook that has been around for many many years is the "better homes and gardens cookbook"....or "the joy of cooking". You can go to a bookstore and ask the salesperson which one they suggest for a basic one.

then you can add other cookbooks as you go....

You can shop just the produce isle and dairy section and end up with a healthy menu eating salads...cheeses etc...depends on your tastes and diets.

Usually Americans plan around a "meat" then add a vegetable, salad and bread...beverage and dessert.

Now that our country is multi-ethnic there are so many choices we can make Italian, Mexican, Asian..you name it..Take that roasted chicken and make it differently each Sunday! LOL

I could go on and on..if you would like more help please write to me anytime I'm happy to share anything I know with you...

I wish you both the very best in your new life together...Happy spring and stay happy and healthy!
Hugs Mama Jazzy Geri.......italmama6060@yahoo.com


What would a nice healthy snack be?
Q. I need some recipes or some sites with recipes that are healthy and don't take much preparation.

A. Ok, sort of a mini meal, but here it goes.
A slice of wheat bread (preferably whole wheat) or two
red pasta sauce or pizza sauce (pasta tends to have less salt, but just check)
low fat cheese

Put the sauce and a little bit of cheese on the bread. Either fold over the one slice, or put another slice on top.
If you have a sandwich maker, brush sandwich with olive oil (or canola oil) and grill. Really, however you would make grilled cheese. Do the same here.
Get creative, you could use this as part of a meal; add some cooked chicken to the sandwhich or add other toppings like mushrooms or other veggies.


what to do with marinated chicken fillets?
Q. my mam left some marinated chicken fillets in fridge for dinner. any healthy, simple tasty recipes?

A. Grill them, slice or dice, then:

--put inside a folded tortilla w/ chz and salsa and make quesadillas. Just grill on a griddle or in a panini maker.
--toss w/ pasta and butter/lemon and some pasta cooking water to make a sauce
--serve over caesar salad for chicken caesar salad
--grill some onions and bellpeppers along w/ meat and make fajitas in flour tortillas
--Cut in half horizontally (to make 2 really thin slices), keep marinating, then grill and serve on ciabatta bread w/ L&T and ranch dressing for sandwiches





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment